Leslie Jeremiah Jr., 2018 HGCSA
Superintendent of the Year
Annually the HGCSA chooses a member for their Superintendent of the Year (SOY) award for their ability to excel at one or more of the following criteria: educating and advancing the careers of colleagues and assistants, negotiating with government agencies, maximizing budget limitations, preparing for tournaments under unusual circumstances, service to golf clientele, upgrading and renovating golf courses, dealing with extreme or emergency conditions and the member’s lasting impact on the Hawaii Golf Industry.
- At 8 years old, Les was introduced to the game of golf from his two uncles, golfing at Bay View GC
- First job was picking up range balls at Bay View GC; proceeded to work on the golf course grounds crew cutting cups, mowing greens & spraying RoundUp
- At 18 years old, got his first full time job at Minami Golf Course (Koolau) under Sean Hoolahan
- Waikele Golf Club – construction grow-in w/ Kalani Voeller
- Bay View Golf Course – worked way up to GC Supervisor
- Various Landscape companies (intermittently)
- Bay View Golf Course – construction grow-in w/ Curtis Kono
- Challenge @ Manele – Asst. Supt under Earl Mamuad
- Makena – Asst. Supt under Dan Honma
- Experience @ Koele – Head Supt.
- Challenge @ Manele & Experience @ Koele – Head Supt.
- DHR Construction – Director of Agronomy & GC Construction (S. Korea, Philippines, Hawaiian Islands)
- Hoakalei CC – Director of Golf Maintenance
- Turf certificate @ UH Windward
- Certified Golf Course Superintendent (CGCS)
- Golf Course Management certificate @ Ohio State University
- Golf Course Turf consultant work in Guam
- Speaker at Turfgrass Management seminar in Thailand & Philippines, and Hawaii conferences
- Active Board Member for Hawaii Turfgrass Association & HGCSA
- Mentored numerous members who have become/are currently Head Superintendents & GM’s