- 2021 – Rounds 4 Research April 24, 2021Dear Hawaii GCSA Members, I hope this finds you all doing well and preparing for what promises to be another busy year throughout the islands. I am reaching out to you today on behalf of the Hawaii GCSA Board of Directors concerning the Environmental Institute for Golf (EIFG) Rounds 4 Research program. Rounds 4 Research…bigwave
- 2021 University of Hawaii Turfgrass and Landscape Pest Management Webinar Series March 20, 2021Webinar series is free of charge, brought to you by UH Manoa Turfgrass and Landscape Pest Management Program, and CTAHR Cooperative Extension Service. Download the Flyer 4:00 – 5:00 pm on Tuesdays in April 2021 Live on Zoom: Webinar Zoom link will be provided to registered participants. Certified Educational Units 1.0 HDOA Pesticide CEU for…bigwave
- Message from Executive Director – Upcoming Webinar January 26, 2021Below is a notification from LICH about an upcoming webinar. I would like to give a shout out to a few superintendents that had hosted events in the last few weeks. Andrew Rebman at Kapalua, Dave Nakama at Waialae and Dan Husek at Hualalai along with their staff did a great job in getting their…bigwave
Position Title: Assistant Golf Course Superintendent
Reports to: Head Golf Course Superintendent, Director of Golf
Positions Directly Supervised: Golf Maintenance Staff, Foreman, Chemical Applicator, Equipment Operator, Irrigation Technicians, Weeders and various project crews.
General Summary of Position
* Works with the Head Golf Course Superintendent on the daily planning of work schedules and/or project/renovation tasks.
* Provides delegation and follow-up of jobs to crew members.
* Reviews and completes daily/weekly sign-in and attendance documentation.
* Plans and provides supervision of golf course project and renovation work.
* Identifies and trouble shoots various golf course problems including those related to the irrigation system.
* Provides overall supervision and maintenance of all landscaped areas.
Responsibilities and Duties
* Prepares daily worker’s assignments.
* Review and follow-up on crew job assignments.
* Makes daily golf course checks and notes abnormal and/or unsafe conditions.
* Insures safe operating procedures are practiced by crew members. Identifies unsafe conditions and makes appropriate recommendations to address the same.
* Ensures OSHA and EPA standards are observed.
* Performs facility opening and closing duties.
* Update/conduct employee attendance records, training documentation and performance reviews.
* Herbicide management.
* Conducts employee disciplinary actions in accordance with employee handbook and union agreement.
* Process proper daily time and attendance report and employee leave request forms etc. to payroll and accounting department.
Education and Experience Desired
* At least a two (2) year degree in agronomy or turf sciences from an accredited institution, or equivalency in working experience.
* Must have a valid State of Hawaii driver’s license.
* Knowledge in computer operation and irrigation programming required.
* Should have at least two (2) years of actual work experience within the golf maintenance field.
* Must have the ability to make independent responsible decisions in order to complete assigned tasks.
* Must be able to maintain good working relationships with other employees.
* Must be able work with or without direct supervision.
* Must understand union contract agreement and interpretation of languages.
Physical Activities and Requirements
* Must be able to operate and drive a utility vehicle on the entire golf course.
* Must be able to walk up & down inclines in relation to golf course areas.
* Must be able to lift 50lbs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.