The ideal candidate for this position will direct, supervise, and participate in a variety of departmental operations, including repairing and maintaining golf course grounds and facilities. As a leader in the department, the selected candidate should have the ability and desire to pursue ongoing continuing education sufficient to remain currently knowledgeable and properly licensed in the field of golf course turf grass management.
As the Assistant Golf Course Superintendent, you will:
* Plan, oversee, and supervise golf course maintenance operations under the direction of the Golf Course Superintendent;
* Perform the functions of the Golf Course Superintendent in their absence;
* Determine the need for repairs, maintenance, or construction
* Oversee construction projects;
* Develop and distribute daily work schedules, including prioritizing tasks, assigning crews, and assigning equipment to ensure work is completed in a timely manner;
* Receive, process, and assign work necessary for the health and playability of the golf course, facilities, equipment, and grounds in accordance with maintenance standards;
* Direct, train, and inspect the work of staff, including but not limited to evaluating part-time and seasonal employee performance, maintaining personnel training certifications, and preparing and maintaining personnel records;
* Operate motor-driven golf course maintenance equipment on a fully qualified level and train personnel in the proper and safe operation of equipment;
* Establish appropriate safety practices for personnel in public buildings and personnel under supervision at the work site;
* Assist in providing cost estimates for repairs, installations, and maintenance;
* Assist with writing technical specifications for the purchase of equipment and the solicitation of price quotations;
* Assist with the maintenance of equipment and vehicles;
* Perform pesticide applications in accordance with Integrated Pest Management Plan;
* Perform fertilizer applications in accordance with Approved Nutrient Management Plan;
* Perform database entries and maintain pesticide and fertilizer records;
* Maintain the irrigation system, including repairing, aligning, and scheduling irrigation cycles;
* Scout and monitor golf course for overall health, adequate soil moisture levels, and presence of pests, damage, or other problems and take corrective action;
* Attend division and department meetings as required.
* Assist with tree and debris removal.
* Perform related tasks as required.
* The following may be used to meet the minimum education and experience requirements:
~ Associates/Technical degree with coursework in golf course turf grass management; or
~ A combination of a turf grass management short-course certificate and experience in maintenance, including considerable akal3-5 years) supervisory experience; or
~ An equivalent combination of education and experience; or
~ Extensive experience as a Project Foreman will also be considered and is encouraged to apply regardless of the aforementioned.
* Certification as a Pesticide Applicator through the Hawaii Department of Agriculture at time of hire or within six (6) months of hire date.
* Valid driver’s license.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
* Thorough knowledge of:
~The methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in golf course maintenance operations and repair;
~Applicable codes, pertinent inspection, and safety requirements;
~Current federal, state, and local laws and regulations affecting the management of golf course operations including, but not limited to, employment, safety, and environmental stewardship standards, laws, and regulations.
* Working knowledge of:
~ Agronomy and turf grass management practices including pest control methods, fertilizers, soil conditioners, and herbicides;
~ The principles, methods, materials, and practices used in golf course maintenance;
~ The operation of golf course equipment.
* Skill in the use of hand and power tools of the trade;
* The ability to:
~ Recruit, interview, hire, and train staff;
~ Recognize and diagnose problems;
~ Create time and materials estimates;
~ Work from sketches, blueprints, and drawings;
~ Use computer database applications related to golf course management;
~ Communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
~ Maintain records;
~ Establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, associates, vendors, and the general public.
Please submit resume to: [email protected]